Sunday, January 27, 2008

GLAM GIRL WINS HER THIRD GRAND SLAM IN MELBOURNE


When Maria Sharapova walked on court for the Australian Open final, she kept thinking about the sage advice of another champion.
"Champions take chances, and pressure is a privilege," Billie Jean King had written in a text message that Sharapova saw when she woke up.
"I took mine," fifth-ranked Sharapova said after beating Ana Ivanovic 7-5, 6-3 Saturday for her third Grand Slam title.
Sharapova, who didn't lose a set in seven matches, was clearly determined that nothing would stop her after winning only three games against Serena Williams in last year's final.
"I did the things I needed to do in order to win the match," Sharapova said, making it sound a lot more simple than it was.
Ivanovic, who at 20 is the same age as Sharapova and will rise to No. 2 in the new rankings, was left to find a silver lining.
"I'm still young and I still think I have a lot of Grand Slam finals in front of me," Ivanovic said. "It hurts a bit now, but I'm sure I can learn from it."
Sharapova first met King, winner of 39 singles and doubles Grand Slam titles, at a juniors tournament when she was 13.
"From that point on, she's just always been really supportive," Sharapova said. "She's always one of the first people to text me when either I'm having a tough moment or a great win."

No comments: