Monday, February 04, 2008

SHAUN POLLOCK BIDS ADIEU TO INTERNATIONAL CRICKET


The Polly Parade came to an end on Sunday when South Africa's leading wicket taker Shaun Pollock hit the winning runs in the fifth and final MTN one-day international against the West Indies at the Wanderers in Johannesburg.
"The last few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster ride, but I've been blown away by the reception I've had all round the country.
"It has been quite an experience, bowling my last ball at the various venues and getting so much support, and I couldn't have chosen a better place to end my career - the Bull Ring is always fantastic," Pollock told journalists after his final match in the green and gold.
"It could have been very sad, but the crowds have lifted me. It's been awesome. I've never had so many cheers just for doing some ordinary fielding."
Pollock said he was at peace about his decision. "It's nice to go out on a high," he said. "I've known for some time that I wanted to retire, and I've been preparing for this. I always wanted to get out at the right time."
In a storybook ending to his career, Pollock hit the winning runs in the last two matches. "When it got to 50 runs needed, everyone else was telling me to pad up - they were scared of being booed!
"Bowling the last ball in each match has been very emotional, with the crowds giving me standing ovations and cheering each ball.
"I think the last one I bowled at Kingsmead was the hardest - I got through that on muscle memory. But it prepared me for the last one here - at least I knew how I was going to feel. Saying goodbye to Kingsmead was the saddest - that was really emotional."
Pollock, who conceded less than 40 runs in each of the five matches, was named joint Man of the Series, with batsman JP Duminy