Thursday, March 20, 2008

Darell Hair reinstated


Darrell Hair has vowed to improve his communication with players following his re-appointment to the ICC's elite panel of umpires earlier this week.Darell Hair was reinstated by ICC after he was suspended for his alleged role in the Oval test where Pakistan was declared forefeiting the match.
The 55-year-old Australian umpire was demoted following his role in the Oval Test match between England and Pakistan in August 2006, which led to the first forfeit in 129 years of Test match cricket..
"I won't say my whole attitude to umpiring has changed but I think I have picked up a few things that are going to be very helpful to me in the future," Hair

He added: "I've always been a little bit stand-offish in that I've always preferred to let them play the game themselves and only get involved when things go overboard.
"Probably just having a broader understanding of what everybody else is thinking and the old communication issue of making sure that what you say and what you want is understood by the other people."
Hair's reappointment has been criticised in Pakistan with former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, who led the team in the controversial Oval Test, describing the ICC's decision as a "shocker".
However, Hair is unconcerned by such a reaction and is instead focused on re-establishing his umpiring career.
"I've got no comment on anyone else's reaction really," he said.